In hundreds of cases across the country, Girard Sharp lawyers have defended the rights of consumers against the world’s biggest companies, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars for plaintiffs in some of the largest consumer settlements in history.
Our consumer protection team is dedicated to protecting clients’ rights when a product or service doesn’t live up to advertised promises or causes other harm. We have extensive experience certifying and successfully defending the rights of groups of plaintiffs in consumer lawsuits against manufacturers, investment firms, and employers where many people have been affected by the same problem.
Our consumer lawyers also have extensive experience helping people across the country protect their privacy rights and seek redress when privacy violations occur. In the modern economy where sensitive personal information—including medical, financial, and other personal data—is stored electronically, protecting this information is increasingly difficult but still vitally important.
We are nationally recognized leaders in class action litigation and arbitration in cases where consumers allege fraud, manufacturing defects, false advertising, and misrepresentation, and we help clients fight back against internet fraud, whether by a website for shopping, dating, or social networking. We likewise litigate a wide variety of privacy disputes and represent clients in lawsuits involving data breaches and privacy rights.
We can level the playing field against industry giants. Our recoveries include:
- $225 in cash or $325 in dealer credits for owners of Hyundai and Kia cars with falsely advertised horsepower ratings
- Up to $800 for drivers of General Motors vehicles filled with defective coolant
- $25 million for Honda and Acura owners with premature brake pad wear
- $650 or up to $1,300 in new vehicle credits for owners of Mercedes vehicles with emergency response systems that would become obsolete without an expensive retrofit
- $15 million settlement, including cash, extended warranties, replacement parts, and store credits, for owners of Apple iPods with falsely advertised battery life
- $5 million, including cash reimbursements, for consumers who purchased Tyson Foods chicken falsely advertised as raised without antibiotics
Consumer Electronics and Telecom
- $80 million settlement from MCI, one of the largest ever in a telecom class action
- Secured a class action settlement against AT&T for billing non-customer accounts
- Obtained cash recoveries in arbitration for more than 2,000 individuals who bought defective smartphones from a major electronics manufacturer
- Serving as lead counsel in class actions against Google for selling defective smartphones
- Served as lead counsel for victims of the North Korean hack of Sony Pictures Entertainment, securing cash, credit monitoring, and other benefits
- Served on the leadership team in the Home Depot data breach class action and helped secure a $13 million fund to reimburse class members for losses and expenses they spent as a result of the Home Depot data breach, including free identity monitoring services for 18 months
- Served on the leadership team for the Target data breach class action, helping secure a $10 million fund and other relief for consumers
Interested in filing a class action? Click here to learn more.
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Speak to a Lawyer
- PFA Insurance Marketing Litigation, Northern District of California
- Burd v. Subaru of America, Inc, District of New Jersey
- Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implant Products Liability Litigation, District of New Jersey
- Juul Labs, Inc., Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation, Northern District of California
- Ide v. British Airways, Southern District of New York
- Google Digital Advertising Antitrust Litigation, Southern District of New York
- Final Approval Granted in $17.85 Million Class Action Settlement Concerning Automated Calls and Texts from Wells Fargo12.11.2019
- Judge Largely Rejects Defendants’ Attempts to Force Confidential Arbitration in In re Pacific Fertility Center03.26.2019