Sexual Abuse and Women’s Advocacy
Sexual misconduct is a reality in many workplaces, industries and other settings. It has affected hundreds of thousands of individuals in the United States, many of whom were victimized by someone in a position of authority, making it more difficult for victims to come forward. Girard Sharp is committed to seeking justice for survivors of sexual abuse and harassment, and we are dedicated to upholding the rights of the most vulnerable.
Our firm is also dedicated to the larger sphere of issues that women face today. Girard Sharp lawyers have experience working on a diverse range of women’s advocacy cases, from holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for marketing birth-control pills that caused life-threatening blood clots to seeking restitution for families whose eggs and embryos were mishandled and lost at a large fertility clinic.
Our Sexual Abuse and Women’s Advocacy attorneys have a track record of successfully taking on some of the world’s largest corporations and institutions on these issues. Girard Sharp has the knowledge, experience and resources to level the playing field. Illustrative cases include:
- Girard Sharp lawyers obtained a $14.75 million jury verdict on behalf of five patients of Pacific Fertility Center whose frozen eggs and embryos were compromised by a cryopreservation tank failure at PFC’s San Francisco clinic in March 2018. The jury found that the tank manufacturer, Chart Industries, acted negligently and is strictly liable for the destruction of this irreplaceable human reproductive material. The PFC litigation continues on behalf of many other patients.
- Girard Sharp lawyers serve as co-lead counsel, in a class action against the University of Southern California and campus gynecologist George Tyndall M.D., on behalf of women who were sexually abused by Tyndall during his long tenure at USC. A federal judge approved a class action settlement with USC and the claims process has now concluded, with universal praise from class members for the compassionate and generous approach to making victims whole. The settlement requires USC to adopt and implement procedures for identification, prevention and reporting of sexual and racial misconduct, as well as recognize the harm done to all of Tyndall’s patients. The settlement establishes a $215 million fund and gives every survivor a choice in how to participate.
- Girard Sharp lawyers also filed a class action lawsuit against UCLA on behalf of women treated by UCLA gynecologist Dr. James Heaps. Heaps was charged with sexual battery and exploitation of patients while working as a staff gynecologist at UCLA—a position he held for almost thirty years. The UC Regents agreed to resolve the claims for $73,000,000, plus injunctive relief measures, and the District Court granted final approval of the settlement.
If you have been harmed by unfair institutional practices or are a survivor of sexual violence, please reach out to one of our lawyers or fill out the form below to learn about rights and protections that apply to you.
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Speak to a Lawyer
- A.B. et al v. The Regents of the University of California et al, Central District of California
- Pacific Fertility Center Litigation, Northern District of California
- Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implant Products Liability Litigation, District of New Jersey
- Federal Judge Signals Approval of $215 Million Settlement in USC Tyndall Sexual Misconduct Class Action01.07.2020
- The Daily Bruin08.06.2019
- USC/Tyndall Sexual Assault Survivor Op-Ed: “USC Gynecologist George Tyndall Abused Me & My Fight For Justice Goes Beyond His Trial.”07.29.2019
- Judge Largely Rejects Defendants’ Attempts to Force Confidential Arbitration in In re Pacific Fertility Center03.26.2019
- Daily Trojan03.04.2019
- Class Action Lawsuit For Pacific Fertility Center Storage Tank Failure Adds Tank Manufacturer As Defendant06.01.2018