Sexual Abuse and Women’s Advocacy
Sexual misconduct is a reality in many workplaces, industries and other settings. It has affected hundreds of thousands of individuals in the United States, many of whom were victimized by someone in a position of authority, making it more difficult for victims to come forward. Girard Sharp is committed to seeking justice for survivors of sexual abuse and harassment, and we are dedicated to upholding the rights of the most vulnerable.
Our firm is also dedicated to the larger sphere of issues that women face today. Girard Sharp lawyers have experience working on a diverse range of women’s advocacy cases, from holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for marketing birth-control pills that caused life-threatening blood clots to seeking restitution for families whose eggs and embryos were mishandled and lost at a large fertility clinic.
Our Sexual Abuse and Women’s Advocacy attorneys have a track record of successfully taking on some of the world’s largest corporations and institutions on these issues. Girard Sharp has the knowledge, experience and resources to level the playing field. Illustrative cases include:
- Girard Sharp lawyers currently serve as co-lead counsel representing patients of Pacific Fertility Center who allege their frozen eggs and embryos were impacted by a cryopreservation tank failure at PFC’s San Francisco clinic in early March 2018. Among other things, the lawsuit alleges that PFC and other defendants did not take proper measures to ensure the safety of patients’ tissue, including ensuring tank storage monitoring and alarm systems were adequate.
- Girard Sharp lawyers serve as co-lead counsel, in a class action against the University of Southern California and campus gynecologist George Tyndall M.D., on behalf of women who were sexually abused by Tyndall during his long tenure at USC. In June 2019, a federal judge granted preliminary approval of the class action settlement in the case. The settlement will require USC to adopt and implement procedures for identification, prevention and reporting of sexual and racial misconduct, as well as recognize the harm done to all of Tyndall’s patients. The settlement establishes a $215 million fund and gives every survivor a choice in how to participate.
- Girard Sharp lawyers recently filed a class action lawsuit against UCLA on behalf of women treated by UCLA gynecologist Dr. James Heaps. Heaps has been charged with sexual battery and exploitation of patients while working as a staff gynecologist at UCLA—a position he held for almost thirty years.
If you have been harmed by unfair institutional practices or are a survivor of sexual violence, please reach out to one of our lawyers or fill out the form below to learn about rights and protections that apply to you.
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Speak to a Lawyer
- The Daily Bruin08.06.2019
- USC/Tyndall Sexual Assault Survivor Op-Ed: “USC Gynecologist George Tyndall Abused Me & My Fight For Justice Goes Beyond His Trial.”07.29.2019
- Judge Largely Rejects Defendants’ Attempts to Force Confidential Arbitration in In re Pacific Fertility Center03.26.2019
- Daily Trojan03.04.2019
- Class Action Lawsuit For Pacific Fertility Center Storage Tank Failure Adds Tank Manufacturer As Defendant06.01.2018