Debt Collection Companies TCPA Investigation
Girard Sharp is investigating reports of debt collection companies auto-dialing consumers and sending prerecorded phone messages, or “robocalls,” to personal cell phones without the consent of the called parties.
Consumers report that they have received unsolicited, prerecorded messages as part of debt collection efforts and that they continued to receive these unsolicited calls even after they asked the company to stop calling them. Many individuals report to have received debt collection calls intended for other persons that they did not consent to receive. These reported calls may violate the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. § 227 (the “TCPA”).
Some of the companies potentially responsible include:
- Capital One
- Credit One
- Ocwen Loan Servicing
- Bill Me Later
- JPMorgan Chase
- Quicken Loans
- USAA Federal Savings Bank
Have you received unsolicited debt collection calls and/or text messages that were intended for some other person or after asking the debt collector to stop calling you?
Protect your rights by speaking with a Girard Sharp TCPA attorney by calling (866) 981-4800 or submitting your information below:
Speak to a Lawyer
Investigation of TCPA Violations
The TCPA protects consumers from receiving unsolicited phone calls and messages. The Act prohibits companies from using automatic dialing systems and prerecorded voice messages to call you without your prior express consent.
Any person who has received calls or messages that are in violation of the TCPA may be able to file a lawsuit.
Have you received debt collection calls or text messages on your cell phone after asking the debt collector to stop calling you? Have you received debt collection calls or text messages on your cell phone that were intended for some other person?
Our attorneys are interested in speaking with you if you:
- Received “robocalls” on your cell phone without consenting to receive such calls. Robocalls are made using equipment or software that dials phone numbers without human intervention. Signs of robocalls include prerecorded or artificial voices, calls that result in hang-ups, or long periods of silence before a live person comes on the line;
- Told a debt collection company or someone calling on behalf of one to stop calling you but continued to receive calls; or
- Received debt collection calls or text messages on your cell phone that were intended for some other person.
For each unwanted call that violates the TCPA, you may be able to collect between $500 and $1,500.
Please contact Girard Sharp LLP for a free and confidential case consultation by calling toll-free at (866) 981-4800 or by filling out the form at the top of this page.
Congress Passed the TCPA to Protect Consumers
Congress passed the TCPA in 1991 to protect “the tranquility and privacy of [a person’s home] … [from] intrusive and annoying interruptions.” The bill’s sponsor, Senator Ernest “Fritz” Hollings, described telemarketing calls as “the scourge of modern civilization. They wake us up in the morning; they interrupt our dinner at night; they force the sick and elderly out of bed; they hound us until we want to rip the telephone right out of the wall … These calls are a nuisance and an invasion of our privacy.” The TCPA gives consumers the right to sue for any violations of the law involving automatic dialers, unsolicited cell phone calls, prerecorded messages, and do-not-call lists.
How to Document Evidence of Potential TCPA Violations
We recommend that you take the following steps to document evidence of potential TCPA violations:
- When you receive incoming calls, you should always request the caller’s name and contact information in order to maintain a written record of the call. We suggest that you save a screenshot of the call and write down a brief description of the conversation that took place or the prerecorded message you received.
- If you received unwanted calls or messages on your cell phone, please save the call logs, text messages, and your cell phone bills.
- If you received an unauthorized text message, please save a screenshot and send it to us. You can upload it by completing our online survey here.
- Please save voicemails that you believe came from debt collectors.
- If you ever sent a letter, text or email to stop receiving calls or texts, please keep a copy for us to review.
Our Commitment to Excellence
Girard Sharp has earned national Tier 1 rankings for Mass Tort and Class Action Litigation and has been named to the U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” list each year since 2013. Read about some of our results.
We have recovered over a billion dollars for our clients against the world’s largest corporations in cases concerning false advertising and unfair business practices, data breaches, and defective product cases against some of the largest tech companies, including, Apple, Google, LG, Yahoo, and Motorola.
For a free consultation about your potential claims, contact one of our TCPA attorneys by filling out the form or calling toll-free (866) 981-4800.